Monday, July 29, 2013

Festival Fashion- Part 3

But when it comes down to it,  Festival Fashion is about finding a way to express the moment.

Here we were under the blazing mid-day sun on the infield listening to Bronwen Exter, when this gorgeous breeze came up.  Suddenly the diaphanous skirt captured the zeitgeist of the moment beautifully.

Check out Bronwyn Exter in her flowy asymmetrical dress and cowboy boots
And her kick-ass fans.

After Fatoumata Diawara's mind-blowing sets on the Infield and the Grandstand, I predict this bustier, mini and pattern leggings will be "must wear" for all Grassroots band leaders.



 After a few hours of carrying all your belongings on your back, you start to covet your neighbor's utility kilt

I have got to find out who made these harem cargo-pants




By Friday morning the fashion-istas are hung over and covered in mud and it is time to let your Grassroots fly. To do that I recommend:

this bag

And obviously a tail



















Wings



The royal blue napoleon jacket I saw on a shaved head young man when my camera was back at camp.


And a Parasol
[At one point I started to feel guilty- was I some heartless paparazzi? So I screwed up my courage and approached some of my subjects directly asking "Can I take your photo for my blog?"  This Father Daughter duo was the first. They jumped right in like pros.]

In fact by the end of the weekend it seemed most people just love to vogue.
By Sunday when the happiness parade circles the festival there is only one fashion rule- let your freak flag fly.




Epilogue: The patchwork maxi proved impractical in a series of drenching rains and ensuing mud. I have visions of harem pants and feathers next year. I can't wait.




No comments: