Monday, April 02, 2007

Guide Mama

Recently I got asked to be a God Mama, or more precisely, a "Guide Mama."
It was this totally amazing un-expected thing to be asked.

It was particularly amazing because my son has 2 fabulous God Parents. God Mama lives 3000 miles away and thankfully is the ultimate pen pal (since she was in Elementary School. She was precocious that way.) God Papa is nearby and is so present and engaged whenever he and the boy are together. He has such a wonderful enthusiasm for the whole thing.
And I just kind of took them for granted- of course they would be great godparents.

But now I've been asked to be a God Mama, and got a neurotic rush of performance anxiety. I mean baby (I) has only one God Mama, and I don't want to let her down. And a God Parent is for life, right? That's the whole point. It's very unique to be bound for life by a promise to another person, especially one you have just met.

I can't wait to take her to an Ashram when she turns 14.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And this is why we asked you to be I's Guidemama--because we just took it for granted that you'd be great.

As for being bound for life to someone you've only just met, we're still reeling from that ourselves . . . maybe this is why parents seek out godparents/guideparents, so they aren't alone in that incredibly huge, empty (if warm and beautiful) space.

--the Mama