Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Could it be hope?

With my husband and all of America I watched the Inauguration with wet eyes, a lump in my throat, and a strange feeling of hope in my chest. For an hour I let go of the jaded cynicism that has been my companion the last decade or so, as I heard that we need not set down our idealism in these hard times. I will have to unpack that and dust it off- I had so much of it when I was young. I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

As the Rev. Joseph E. Lowery urged us in the inaugural benediction:

"Let all those who do Justice and love Mercy say Amen"

Amen
Amen
Amen

1 comment:

Akire said...

That lump is hope, baby!

can I say...(I felt the most intense sense of a heavy weight off my shoulders when Joe Biden took his oath...and was president for that short time. That relief moment was the most energetic drain I've felt in...8 years! ) Then I knew the rest was a-go. What an epic week this has been. Thanks for the bloggin'