Monday, June 23, 2008

After the storm

Tonight there was another thunder storm, one of the strongest of the many brief storms to pass through our neighborhood. The rain came in slanty through the windows, the lightening was bright and the thunder loud. The power went out just as my son was getting ready for bed. Fortunately our bedtime book is digital, so we sat in a dark room while the last hour of light from the long summer days made 2 glowing rectangle windows, reading "Only You Can Save Mankind" on my PDA. And then it was amazingly quiet. Out the front door you could hear the sound of the generator from the nursing home down the street, but from my son's room only the dripping of rain off branches and a neighbor playing saxophone out an open window. Later I sat in the living room my husband had filled with candlelight remembering a time when we used to light these very same candles just to see yellow light flickering in a dark room. I haven't been that quiet in a long time.

No comments: