Saturday, July 29, 2006

Heat wave retrospective

The AC in my office was out last week, and I completely lost the ability to multitask until it was fixed. The only thing left working in the system was the thermometer on the thermostat which cheerfully let me know as we crossed 90. As my mind turned to mush, I had to remind myself every few minutes what I was working on. Heat is like kryptonite to me it turns out.

The following Sunday I preached to a droopy crowd who were too hot to laugh, but I give them kudos for coming and for staying awake in what must have been 90+ degree.

As we come out the other side of this heat wave, I am reminded that a decade or two ago the whole church office closed down during the summer, because it was simply to hot to work here. I think about the financial and environmental costs of running a full facility through the summer months. If Richard Heiberg is right and we are approaching the “end of oil” I wonder if our children and grandchildren will think to themselves, “why don’t we close down offices, churches and schools in the dog days of summer? It’s just not worth the cost to keep them open.”

No comments: