Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Walking

I had suspected that I could walk to my Chiropractor, but never made the time to do it until my job changed to part-time. I got myself ready a half hour early, put on my ergonomically designed sneakers, screwed up my will power and headed off. About 10 minutes it took. It's almost the same distance as my walk to yoga, but in the oposite direction. And it's right next to a coffee shop and a children's consignment shop, making the whole thing a pleasant outing, yet for the first year I lived here I drove.

My husband and I have both noticed that even though we moved with great intention to a house where we could walk to stuff, it is hard to get past the mindset we developed in the car-centric community we used to live in. I got in the car to check out our local guitar store for a Mandolin strap, and my partner said "it's pretty close- you could walk." But I thought "who's got time for that? I'm a busy person" There was construction on the street to the store, and what with all the traffic lights and one-way streets, I was pretty embarrassed by the time I arrived at the shop few blocks from my house. He was right- it really was pretty close.

On my jog each morning I run past a river of folks walking up the hill to the local college. They walk past me in skirts and high heels, carrying briefcases, coffee cups, lunch bags. Some of them have special ergonomic walking shoes, but most just do it. People walk here. (This is partly because there are no parking spots closer than the ones in front of my house, which is why you can never find parking near us during the day) Our son knows that if we are going to the library or the toy store, we are going on foot. We've added the Guitar store, the sandwich shop, yoga, the chiropractor, and even the place where the "Living Wage" committee meets. Little by little we are changing our habits. Once we moved to a pedestrian friendly community, all we needed was the will and little extra time. And comfy shoes. Now if only I could find some that look good once I arrive.

1 comment:

Ginger Root said...

I finally got up the will to walk to the UU church for a clergy gathering. 10 minutes it took, and I got to walk right by the Shortstop Deli for a Hot Truck. I really have to get over this idea that things "across town" are too far to walk. Also, I have to start buying shoes as if I walk to events and not just for exercize.