Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer's End


After some June and July days so hot it caused existential angst, August has been pretty cool. As that first cool breeze passed through the yoga studio, a fellow student said "looks like fall is on it's way!'' Another added "have you seen all the apples coming in?" "No!" I wailed, filled with denial. Our son had only been off school for one month, and I thought the cool day was just an anomaly. But since then it has never gone above 80 in Ithaca, and it cools off every night. And on our trip this weekend to New Hampshire to see our dear friends, we noticed that each tree-covered hilltop had at least one maple tree willing to declaim with orange foliage that summer was at an end. I suppose the fact that my son goes back to school next week should have given me a clue, but I am in serious denial that fall could be at hand. I despair my pumpkin plant will ever bear fruit, though it has beautiful blossoms and huge leaves. We are dashing out this afternoon to enjoy one of the last days the swimming hole at our nearby state park will be open for swimming this year. The sun is bright in a blue sky, so I am hopeful our boy and his friends will not mind the cold cold water. I think this is what "they" mean when they say "seize the day."

No comments: