Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More God

For weeks I have been pondering the why of church. What would compel folks to commit their Sunday mornings to gather in worship? It's sure not peer pressure in this day and age. What is it that I want when I go week after week?

Then, this week I remembered. I want to be in the presence of the Holy Spirit. I want to be reminded that our journey is at its core a spiritual one. I want to sing praise and gratitude to God. With the codicil that I know in my own heart that the God I am grateful to is the one-ness of all that is. It is the spirit of life moving through all things. It is mystery.

Unfortunately I belong to a religious tradition where it is not really considered polite to mention God in church. I'm tempted to go worship with other communities in my neighborhood, but it's hard to do that while trying to provide a stable consistent religious education to my son. I begin to understand the members of the congregation I used to serve who attended worship themselves on Sunday mornings, after dropping their own children off at Hebrew School.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please contact me at moderator@discoveruu.com. I would like to feed your blog onto along with 30 other UU minister blogs at discoveruu.com and require your contact information.
thanks
Aaron Sawyer
818-235-3324