Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Case of the Whys.

I have come down with a bad case of the Whys. As bad as a 4 year old gets them. I am very susceptible to this bug. I get it a lot. And I get it pretty bad too. Generally people find this reasonable behavior for a minister. They feel like I'm "asking interesting questions" and "getting people to think about things." Little do they know that I am genuinely confused. It's like misplacing your keys, which I also do a lot. "I know I put that reason for being around here somewhere...I just had it!" "Honey, do you remember why I go to church?"

I do actually write myself little notes for when I forget. I have a whole page devoted to "what to do when things seem really frantic in the autumn" I sneak them into liturgy like an preset alarm in my calendar. "It's Winter Solstice, time to prepare for the Dark Night of the Soul. Don't forget the return of Sun and Warmth."

Unfortunately, sometimes the answers change. For example, I used to practice yoga because it helped me reconnect with myself , and made me feel like a Power Ranger. Now that my joints are achy with cold, and my wrist injury prevents me from doing all those cool arm balances I worked so hard on for 3 years, I sure don't feel like a Power Ranger. I may be reconnecting with myself, but my self is saying "Why do you keep going to yoga? It's winter and we should be in bed."

Often this syndrome is cured by wrapping my arms around someone I love. Pardon me while I go give that a try.

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

*HUGS*
i am here to hug you!
do or do not: there is no WHY
(that's my spin on the famous Yoda-ism)
i know it is utterly hard for you, but just try to DO without thinking about WHY. it works for me all the time. perhaps this is why i can still be a catholic. hehe
love you, hon.

Lyn said...

When I lose the meaning of life, I try to find it in my desk drawer. It's never there. Sometimes it's between the couch cushions. You write so beautifully. I hope someone from Skinner House notices. Big hugs. -LSC

Ginger Root said...

Hey Lyn, Thanks for introducing me to Terry Pratchett. I started with the Tiffany Aching books and couldn't stop. After a 2 year marathon I have only a couple more and then I'll be done. Sigh.

Ginger Root said...

Kimmy, I think you've hit on something!