Monday, February 26, 2007

Processing...

This past week we had to be out of the house while we got the place painted and re-carpeted for the sale of our home. We thought- hey if we have to pay for a hotel every night anyway, why not see Leggoland. And hey, if we're going to be in Southern California anyway, why not Disney? So after the marathon of getting every piece of thing we own off of any piece of furniture we own and off of all the built-in bookcases, and packing for a 9 day trip (and of course work last Sunday) we finally made it to Legoland. The weather channel kept promising an intense winter storm, but we woke in a hotel WAY out of our league and very cushy, to a beautiful sunny day. Leggoland was perfect for our 5 year old son, and nothing makes a parent happy like a joyful child. There was something in the way the place was designed that felt sweet, that felt caring. I kept saying "We are so blessed" just to grasp hold of this peaceful, happy, sunny day with my family.

But soon enough we're onto Anaheim, where showers again loomed. And Disneyland is freaking HUGE by comparison, and not so child-centered as Leggoland. We got the boy to "Winnie-the-Pooh's Great Adventure" (or something. He gets so mad when I get the title wrong) and he even got a real hug from Pooh. My partner got his turn on Space Mountain, and with our life-goals achieved, we braced for the deluge, which in fact came while we were on Dumbo's Whirly Adventure Something (sorry Son). We stumbled back to our hotel satisfied, but a little overwhelmed.

Imagine our shock when the next morning the sun was shining gloriously. So glorious, in fact, that I seriously under-dressed. It was a relief to walk the park again with no goals and no rain to drive us. The day was lovely, and I was glad to have the time with my family, but I kept wondering about this notion that Disneyland is the archetypal story that drives our industrial-growth society. We long for a place like this where we can have all our needs met (with great competence and attention to detail, it must be said) as long as our needs are shopping, roller coasters and corn-dogs. But stay off the fences and walls, just keep moving on to the next 45 second ride, the next 30 minute line, the souvenir shop for each thematic area. The closing fireworks display was beautiful (by this time I had bought my souvenir sweat-shirt to make up for my bad planning) but the narrator kept saying "dreams do come true." I thought, "like going to Disneyland?" I am still wondering, is there any there there? Is it empty? But it was a good day, a memorable day with my sweet dear husband and son. And there was dancing (like real professional dancers with skills and all) in the parade, and fireworks, and free tortillas at the Mission Brand Tortilla Demonstration, and beautiful landscaping, and a tree house 3 stories high. And Winnie the Pooh gave my son a hug.

Processing...

No comments: