Monday, September 25, 2006

Why we rock

Sometimes, having grown up Unitarian Universalist, swimming in this water daily, I forget why we rock.

This Sunday, there were many newcomers to our church saying things like
"I want a community but I'm skeptical of organized religion"
"I"m from an interfaith family and I don't feel like I belong anywhere"
"My kids are starting to ask hard questions but I don't know what to tell them"
"I don't know if I believe in God or not"
"I feel like people need to come together across religions if there is ever going to be peace"

Imagine if you will, you are behind the counter of a coffee shop and someone says to you with tears in her eyes "What I really want is a warm beverage with some caffeine, but I just don't know where to look."

What can you say but "you've come to the right place"

I mean, who knows if these folks will decide that they want to join our community for the long term, but "for this morning while you are questioning and wondering, I want you to know this is your place. Welcome home."

1 comment:

lou jones said...

love your analogy.