Monday, August 26, 2013

An Open Letter to Gap Inc.



Dear Gap Inc.,
I have been a loyal customer of the Gap for many years- some of my favorite clothes are from the Gap brands. Recently, however, I have been ashamed to admit to my friends that I am a Gap customer. I was deeply shaken by the factory fires in Bangladesh this past year.   Those tragedies made me question the integrity of the garment industry, and of Gap brands in particular.

 I am glad that Gap and other retailers have agreed to a “5 year safety plan but I call on Gap Inc. to be a leader in the industry by signing on to the Accord on Fire and Building Safety inBangladesh.  I look forward to someday being confident that the women and men who make my clothing work in a safe environment, only then will I be a proud Gap customer again.
Sincerely,
Rev. Darcey Laine

No comments: