Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When you meet the Buddha in the Road...


About 8 years ago I brought this Buddha candle to a gift-swap with my minister's group. About 7 years ago I scored this Buddha candle in the same gift-swap (my colleague had brought it back, wrapped with a pretty bow and barely stifling a grin)

I decided the big 4-0 was as good a time as any to burn it.

I remember the first time I saw a Buddha candle burning; it was at a fellow seminarian's house-party before I had really studied much Buddhism. I was so surprised to see a sacred image burning that I must have said something out loud. My host replied "oh, I think you have to burn a Buddha candle."

So I found myself this past weekend surrounded by friends burning the Buddha. One seemed surprised by this seemingly sacrilegious act, so I tried to explain about the doctrine of impermanence, about the sand mandala ritual (which lead to much reminiscing about the time we watched Tibetan monks destroy the sand mandala they had been building for days during the Tibetan Freedom Concert while "Rage Against the Machine" played barely audible beyond the chanting of the monks- hey it was my birthday I'm allowed a little nostalgia.) My partner and I both tried to explain the Buddhist Koan "If you meet he Buddha on the road, kill him" before finally resuming the non-theological aspects of the party.

In a whole night of festivities, we got only as far as the eyes. I find this hopeful; life impermanent in nature, but it's often a slow burn.

5 comments:

goodwolve said...

Happy 40th! Welcome to our special club where only the cool kids get to play - and we definitely burn the Buddha!

James said...

lovely anecdote.

also for a bit more detail on your "buddha."

might be interesting...

http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddha/a/laughingbuddha.htm

slt said...

Wonderful! Happy Birthday and
may blessings, BU

Amy said...

A very fitting way to celebrate a big birthday and definitely the Buddhist thing to do with a Buddha candle.

lou jones said...

i forgot you were at the tibetan show too!! i remember now...the sand mandala. i got to meet the monks, darcey. they were so sweet! of course, i know, but really really really sweet.

a great memory. i will get a buddha candle for my 40th too.