Thursday, November 12, 2009

Where Privilege meets Addiction

I write you now from Ottawa, Canada from the UU Minister's Convocation. We are staying in a super fancy hotel with soft plushy downy comforters and pillows in a crisp white fine cotton weave. Everything is very elegant. But after the morning worship I walked out into the lobby to grab my 10:00 cup of coffee and found .... nothing. They had cleared out all the coffee after breakfast. I stood there in shock. How could I make it through the morning on that one tiny elegant 6 oz cup I had with breakfast? Friends and colleagues I hadn't seen in ages walked by and said hello, and all I could say, hands resting on the places coffee pots used to be, was "there's no more coffee!"

A friend from back in my seminary days said "let's just notice this is a conversation of privilege." I thought "of course, that's what coffee is- the morning luxury you can count on even in the crappiest minimum wage job" I pondered her comment as I went off in search of coffee and into the elevator where I repeated it to a colleague I had not yet met. She thought about it and said "but it's more than that, it's where privilege meets addiction." I liked this- who else but an addict would let the object of addiction come before friends? But as I brewed a cup of Starbucks Fair Trade Coffee in my hotel room I felt there was more. I mean, sure I'm living in the lap of luxury here, but coffee is something else.

As I sat in worship holding my warm cup in my hands, I realized that holding the cup of coffee and sitting quietly for a moment each morning is a time of arriving- whether at my computer at home, or at my desk in an entry-level office job, or here at a conference in worship. I love the ritual of it, of making the coffee, of holding the cup, yes and of course the shot of caffeine that helps my brain go. And I realized- the line between ritual and addiction and privilege is very thin. The fact that my morning doesn't feel right without that quiet moment, without the warm cup is both ritual and addiction. What a privilege to have a reliable moment of quiet peace and warmth each day.

5 comments:

Lizard Eater said...

a) Kudos on politely receiving "let's just notice this is a conversation of privilege" without an adequate amount of coffee ingested. Hmm, could I have been so ... oh what's the word? ... non-violent? I wonder.

b) But seriously. Your last paragraph makes me think of Emerson's "A foolish consistency ..." A hot cup of joe, the warmth of the cup, the taste of the coffee, the moment of luxurious pleasure -- not a foolish consistency. A rich and wonderful one.

Darn, I wish it were morning just so I could have a fresh cup of coffee.

Robin Edgar said...

Where *privilege* meets spelling error. . . ;-)

Ginger Root said...

Sigh. Blogger doesn't spell-check titles.

Spell-check- my deep and unwavering addiction.

Akire said...

This is not really a comment so much as a thank-you, I have re-read this article you wrote now 3 times, and there is something very comforting about hearing this experience. I sit with coffee this time again appreciating your writing.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!