Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Part Time

I am finally settling in to the reality that for the first time since before my son was born that I work part time. While we were gearing up to purchase the music store it was quite a balancing act to get sermons written and loan applications completed. But the business changed hands the same week a volunteer project I was working on came to fruition, and I am beginning to realize that the slow pace of my daily schedule is not anomalous. Now I know I said that we were moving out of Silicon Valley to have a quieter more sustainable life, but I think I hear crocuses growing this morning. In theory it is perfect; between the time I drop my son at school and when the bus brings him home there is just enough time to exercise, work my half day in the home office and make and clean up from lunch.

But this week both the Board and the Committee on Ministry at the church have mentioned that they are feeling kind of amazed at how much the church is doing, and how it's important not to over-tax the system, to remember that church should be fun and not all work. I realized that some of the things I've got on my "to do" list for the church need to stay there for a while- that I need to make sure I don't put too much in the pipeline all at once. I'm realizing that this is a part-time position not just because of church finances, but also because it may really be meeting the needs of a family-size congregation.

Last time I worked part time I was fresh out of seminary. I was used to spending the days meditating, writing, reading. Since then I've served a busy congregation full time while raising a child through his early years. I wonder, could I get back to that state of mind where I felt close to the ineffable most of the time? Will I become a more involved activist? Will I finally learn to play the mandolin confidently? Or is this just cabin fever that will disappear once the soil thaws and gardening season begins? I don't want to go back to the frantic pace of my old life, but there is clearly some need as yet unfilled. I should figure out what it is before I drive my congregation over the edge with ideas and projects.

3 comments:

Andria Crowjoy said...

I'm bummed that I can't be at the grand reopening but I am happy to help bake up goodies or whatever ahead of time. Bakefest, Zesterhornstead? 2 ovens!

I wonder if you could put the refreshments outside of your front door so people aren't actually inside getting them? Would cut down on some potential messiness? Put little tables around so people set their stuff on those instead of the displays?

Ginger Root said...

You are so awesome. Like painting our sign and feeding us and watching our kids while we go hear music isn't enough.

Andria Crowjoy said...

We can put a whooping on the party fare, no doubt. Let's pick a date before you're all booked up. You have no idea what I used to do when I knew ALOT of people. :D