Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sacred Space

After almost a year and a half in this house, I finally created some sacred space for myself. I used to have a fold-out desk in a built-in book case great for making a seasonal altar above and storing things-you-might-put-on-an-altar underneath and safely out of site. In the new house, the one flat surface I managed to set aside is just above eye level, and not truly accessible for short altar-makers. Last night we hung up a set of tiny shelves that used to serve as a spice rack (Hand made by someone in Pennsylvania I think. A gift form my mother in law years ago). Now my seasonal altar has 5 tiny windows and a narrow shelf. What was harder was finding a safe place for all the little bits and pieces of shells and rocks, candles and polished glass, bells, incense, and figures of the sacred mother that accumulated so casually on my folding self at home. They are now safely packed in a drawer. The altar is nothing special, but it feels really good to have that space again. Space to put a star that reminds me of my friend who has cancer. Space to remind myself of my intentions, to let objects hold ideas and feelings and dreams in process.

1 comment:

Annabelle said...

I'm picturing a "cabinet of curiosities" when I'm reading the description of your sacred space. Sounds quite beautiful!