Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Pratchett Sermon

Well, it finally happened. Terry Pratchett has finally made it into one of my sermons. In fact, our morning's text is from "Witches Abroad."

I have read so much Pratchett in the past 2 years that everyone asks me if he is my favorite author. The answer to this is not easy. I would have to say Pratchett is not my favorite "writer." He's not a poet, and I do not ever fall into raptures over the beauty of a sentence (Jeanette Winterson is one of my favorites for that). Really, he's more like a friend. He keeps me company, he's funny, he gets my mind off my troubles, and he has great ideas. I will be very sad when he leaves us.

Now that I'm thinking, here are some of my other favorite friends that I've never met:

Brian Eno
David Byrne
Ani DiFranco
Saul Williams
Wendel Berry
StarHawk
Ursula LeGuin
Michael Franti

No comments: