Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Woodpecker

This morning I heard a woodpecker for the first time ever. I was at the end of my morning run, just a few houses away from my own. Because there are still no leaves on the trees, it was easy to follow the sound to its maker. He was a beautiful guy with black and red and white feathers, fluffy as if he still had his winter coat on. Since he let me look at him, I rushed home to get my camera. Yet somehow as the shutter was closing, he hopped further and further out of range. Fortunately I can still hear him tapping somewhere in my neighborhood.

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

you probably encountered a downy woodpecker. check out google images. they are very common up here.
we once had one tap-tap-tap-ing on the chimney to our woodstove! it generated a lovely metallic reverberation throughout the house.
silly bird!