Monday, May 21, 2007

Country Music

If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be listening to country music and reading Fantasy/Sci-Fi I would have made a very funny face. And yet here I am driving around with Gillian Welch and the Dixie Chicks in my console (and Bjork too if truth be told) and cruising used book stores for Terry Pratchett's back catalogue. It's almost like once I'd overturned the parental taboos of my childhood, I had nothing left but to overturn my own self-imposed taboos. Or maybe I just like finger-pickin' and stories about the end of the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting. I had a long stint with both country music and SciFi. Many persons I know who like classical also like country. Johnny Cash's Man in Black is one of my favorites. Several years ago, they modernised country and I lost interest, but what I listened to told it like it is. I actually furtively bought a Dixie Chicks CD when they were on "the outs." I quote many lines from that period. I love SciFi but haven't found well-written authors. Perhaps you can share some titles. Someone said it's about changing one law of the univese and then seeing how it all comes out. I like to follow that.
I would never have thought to share any of that with you, for fear you would disapprove.
Love,
Mom