Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blog Neophite

So a member of my congregation says he'd like to hear more about what kind of thinking goes into the work of a minister.

"Really?" I think. "I find it fascinating, but it seems to be kind of a conversation killer at parties."

"What about a blog?" he helpfully suggests.

I wonder to myself how that's different from the newsletter articles or sermons I already write.

Then last Saturday night as I'm editing my sermon I think how I'd love to e-mail the whole congregation:
"A cup of coffee to anyone who can figure out how the form of this sermon is different from my usual sermon form." But you can't really clog your congregation's in-box with e-mails like that.

Understanding descends on me like a blaze of glory.
That's what blogs are for.

The answer, for those of you playing at home:
Usually I preach in the
Opening illustration- "here's the thing"- "but there's another way of looking at it"- "so in the end it’s really a synthesis"
form
whereas this was more of a ladder or list form
Introduction- 7 rungs (one for each principle) - conclusion

See, Fascinating!

Thanks for the idea.

No comments: